I used the lemon peel stitch to make this gorgeous blanket.
The Lemon Peel stitch is sometimes referred to as the Griddle Stitch. It is super easy and suitable for beginners.
I used this stitch to make the blanket above using Paintbox Simply Aran 100% Acrylic yarn in the following colours: 220 Banana Cream, 242 Tea rose, 200 Paper White, 254 Peach Orange, 243 Raspberry Pink, 250 Bubblegum Pink (1 x 100g ball for each). I used a hook size 6.
You can purchase this yarn here.
Lemon Peel Stitch (UK terms)
- ROW 1: Chain a multiple of 2. For my sample blanket I chained 106.
- Work a double crochet into the 4th chain from the hook.
- Work 1 treble crochet into the next chain.
- Work 1 double crochet into the next chain.
- Continue along alternating between a double and a treble crochet. Finish with a double crochet.
- ROW 2: Turn, Chain 3 (counts as one treble).
- Work a double crochet into the next stitch.
- Work a treble crochet into the next.
- Continue to alternate between the double crochet and treble crochet ensuring that each double crochet is into the top of the treble crochet from the row below and the treble crochet is in the top of the double crochet below.
- SUBSEQUENT ROWS: repeat row 2.
For my blanket I worked 6 rows in each colour stripe, for a total of 16 colour stripes. I added a simple border of double crochet then treble crochet.
This stitch is very versatile and can be used to make many different items such as scarves, blankets and washcloths. It also is a stitch that does not have big holes, so you may also want to consider it animal blankets, baby blankets etc.