This post contains affiliate links.
I bought some cushion pads quite some time ago 30 x 50cm (12 x 20 inches) and had been dithering for ages as to what to do with them. I finally got round to making some covers with King Cole Cottonsoft DK.
Each cushion requires 2 panels. I think it is best to make each panel 4-5 cm smaller than the cushion size to make the cushion look plump and fill out the corners. Each panel I made was approximately 25 x 47cm.
Hook: 4mm hook, or hook size to achieve gauge (I used a 3.5mm as I am a loose crocheter).
Yarn: 100g in each of 4 colours of cotton DK. This sample uses 100g each of King Cole Cottonsoft in colours Orchid (3033)(A), Apple (1851)(B), White (710)(C) and Saxe (718)(D). You can purchase this yarn here.
Needle to weave in ends
16 stitches x 13 rows =10cm x 10cm, adjust hook size as to achieve gauge
UK terms are used throughout.
Ss slip stitch
Tr treble crochet
Dc double crochet
* * Instructions between asterisks will be repeated as specified in the instructions
This pattern uses the suzette stitch, which has a lovely texture. This stitch is simple and suitable for a beginner.
- Foundation: Chain 38 (or any even number) using colour A.
- Row 1: Dc in second chain from the hook, tc in the same stitch, *miss next chain, dc next stitch, tc in same stitch*, repeat from *to* until last two chains remain, miss next chain, dc in last chain, ch1 and turn.
- Row 2: Dc into first stitch (bottom of the chain 1), tc into same stitch, *miss next stitch, dc next stitch, tc into same stitch*, repeat from *to* until last 2 stitches remain, miss the next stitch, dc last stitch, ch1, turn.
- Subsequent rows: repeat row 2. Complete 4 rows of colour A then switch to colour B and complete 4 rows. Then repeat for colours C and D and then continue with the repeating pattern.
- Complete 64 rows in total (or according to desired length).
- Complete 2 panels.
- Weave in ends.
Joining the panels
You can choose how to join the panels; whether to crochet or sew the panels together. I used double crochet to join the panels as follows:
- Position the panels together so that the wrong sides are against each other and the right sides are facing outwards. Use any of the colours (I used the Saxe)
- Join with a ss in the first corner (through both loops on both panels), ch1, dc in the next stitch through both loops on both sides and in each stitch along and working 3 dc in each corner. Complete 3 sides and then insert the cushion pad and then complete the 4th side.
- When you reach the starting chain 1, slip stitch into the top of this chain 1 to close the round.
- Weave in ends.